This Mushroom Pasta is a delicious dish of sautéed mushrooms mixed with shell pasta in a creamy sauce. The white cream sauce is conveniently made in the same pan as the sautéed mushrooms, garlic and onions, absorbing all of the great flavors as it thickens. An easy recipe to make, this vegetarian meal is full of flavor and has a fantastic creamy consistency
- 1 cup shell pasta or macaroni
- ▢200 to 250 grams white button mushrooms
- ▢1 yellow bell pepper or red bell pepper (medium to large-sized) – optional
- ▢1 small onion – finely chopped
- ▢2 garlic cloves (small to medium-sized) – finely chopped
- ▢1 teaspoon chopped parsley or coriander leaves (cilantro)
- ▢1 teaspoon chopped basil
- ▢2 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- ▢1.5 cups whole milk
- ▢2 tablespoons butter (salted or unsalted)
- ▢2 to 3 tablespoon grated cheddar cheese or mozzarella cheese
- ▢salt as required
- ▢black pepper as required
- Heat enough water with salt until it begins to boil.
- Add the pasta and cook the pasta until they are al dente.
- When done, strain them in a colander or strainer.
- Drain and set them aside.
- Rinse the mushrooms well in water in a strainer or colander. Drain them.
- Trim the stalks and slice them. Set aside. Chop the bell pepper and set aside.
- Peel and finely chop the onions and garlic.
- Melt butter in a pan. Add the garlic and saute for about 10 to 12 seconds on a low flame.
- Add the chopped onions and saute till the onions become translucent.
- Add the sliced mushrooms and saute on a low to medium flame till the mushrooms have shrunk in size.
- There should be no moisture in the pan.
- The mushrooms will release their juices initially and after continuous sauteing, the juices will evaporate.
- Keep on stirring at intervals while sautéing mushrooms.
- After the liquids have evaporated and the mushrooms have cooked, add the chopped bell pepper and sauté for 4 to 5 mins on a low flame.
Making The Sauce
- Add the flour.
- Stir well and sauté for 3 to 4 mins on a low flame.
- The flour will coat itself to the mushrooms and bell pepper.
- Add milk in a gentle stream to the pan and keep on stirring.
- The flour will combine with the milk and you will see the sauce getting thickened slowly.
Making Mushroom Pasta
- Cook for about 2 minutes and add the pasta.
- Stir well and simmer for 1 to 2 minutes more.
- Then add the chopped parsley and basil and simmer for a minute
- Season with salt and pepper.
- If the sauce becomes too thick, add some hot water or milk and thin the sauce.
- You can garnish with grated cheese and serve the creamy mushroom pasta right here or proceed as follows, if you have an oven.
Baking Instructions (Optional)
- Pour the pasta in a baking pan or bowl.
- Top with grated cheese and bake in a pre heated oven at 180 degrees Celsius (356 degrees Fahrenheit) until the cheese melts.
- Serve the pasta with a vegetable soup and with some warm toasted brown bread or white bread.
- You can have this creamy mushroom pasta without any accompaniment also.
- Pasta: Rigatoni, penne, ziti and farfalle pasta can be easily replaced with macaroni or shell pasta.
- Fats: You can add olive oil instead of butter.
- Cream: Adding 2 to 3 tablespoons of heavy cream will make the mushroom pasta more rich and creamy.
- Veggies: You can skip adding bell pepper in the recipe. Steamed, sautéed or roasted veggies like cauliflower, carrots, zucchini, baby corn, green beans can be added to the sauce before you add the pasta.
- Mushrooms: In place of button mushrooms you can add cremini mushrooms
Nutrition Info Approximate values
Amount Per Serving
Calories 350Calories from Fat 126
% Daily Value*
Fat 14g 22%
Saturated Fat 8g 50%
Cholesterol 38mg 13%
Sodium 484mg 21%
Potassium 585mg 17%
Carbohydrates 44g 15%
Fiber 3g 13%
Sugar 10g 11%
Protein 13g 26%
Vitamin A 567IU 11%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 1mg 67%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 1mg 59%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 4mg 20%
Vitamin B6 1mg 50%
Vitamin B12 1µg 17%
Vitamin C 78mg 95%
Vitamin D 2µg 13%
Vitamin E 1mg 7%
Vitamin K 2µg 2%
Calcium 202mg 20%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 50µg 13%
Iron 1mg 6%
Magnesium 46mg 12%
Phosphorus 277mg 28%
Zinc 2mg 13%