The benefits of meditation are manifold. The image below summarises a few of them. Let us explore more benefits of meditation one by one.
5 Benefits of Meditation to the Body
As an individual becomes regular with practicing meditation, there is a visible increase in joy, peace, and enthusiasm. This happens because of the increased prana (life force energy) in the body.
On the physical level, meditation:
- lowers high blood pressure
- lowers the levels of blood lactate, reducing anxiety attacks
- decreases tension-related pain (headaches, ulcers, insomnia, muscle, and joint problems)
- increases serotonin production that improves mood and behavior
- strengthens the immune system
- increases energy levels
11 Mental Benefits of Meditation
Meditation brings the brainwave pattern into an alpha state that promotes healing. The mind becomes fresh, delicate and beautiful. It cleanses and nourishes you from within and calms you, whenever you feel overwhelmed, unstable, or emotionally shut down.
With regular practice of meditation:
- anxiety decreases
- emotional stability improves
- creativity increases
- happiness increases
- intuition develops
- gain clarity and peace of mind
- mental agility increases
- relaxes the mind
- Better memory and retention
Studies have shown that the brains of 50-year-old meditators have the same amount of grey matter in their prefrontal cortex as normal 20-year-olds do. This translates into the same abilities to remember things and decision-making.
* Are you looking at starting your journey in meditation, or perhaps going deeper? Your journey can begin and end here. Gain access to a set of tools that will stay with you through life, enhancing every step of the way. Sign up for The Art of Living Meditation and Breath workshop and unlock the path for yourself.
4 Points to Remember
- Meditation makes you aware that your inner attitude determines your happiness.
- The balance of a sharp mind and an expanded consciousness brings harmony.
- A sharp mind without expansion causes tension, anger, and frustration.
- An expanded consciousness without sharpness can lead to lack of action/progress.
What is the best way to get all these benefits of meditation?
- Regular practice is necessary.
- It takes only about 20 minutes every day. Once imbibed into the daily routine, meditation becomes the best part of your day.
- You will start experiencing the benefits of meditation within two months of regular practice.
- It’s important to be on a light/empty stomach. Digestion requires high metabolism while meditation lowers the metabolic rate of the body.
- If you’re a beginner, it’s easier if you’re sitting in a quiet, clean place. Once you become more adept at meditation, you can meditate anywhere.
- If you’re getting thoughts during meditation, simply observe them. Don’t resist them.
Meditation is like a seed; when you cultivate a seed with love, the more it blossoms.
5 Benefits for Students
- Greater confidence
- More focus and clarity
- Better health
- More mental strength and energy
- Greater dynamism!